Go on then – it’s all over the press so let us discuss it here.
Carol Thatcher, daughter of an evil alien and winner of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here compared a black tennis player to a golliwog – as we’re all aware, by now. This occurred in a ‘green room’ at the BBC in the company of Adrian Chiles, Jo Brand and the delightful Christine Bleakley.
Several people in the room took offence, one called The Sun(?) and Jay Hunt sacked the Thatch.
Case for the prosecution:
- The term, if overheard and out of historical context, could cause offence.
- Comparisons to Jonathan Ross are irrelevant as he was only offensive to one individual.
- Ross apologised whilst Thatcher refuses to.
- It was a Comic Relief event, making it somehow even worse.
Case for the defence:
- We don’t know the exact context of her blatherings.
- Jonathan Ross was offensive (all the same) and didn’t get sacked.
- It was a comparison pertaining to appearance alone.
Personally, I’m just glad she’s off the TV.
What’s your take, WWMers?